Maryland $3000 One-Time Excise Tax Credit for Plug-in EV [Program Expired]
Please be advised, funding for the one-time excise tax credit for a qualifying plug-in electric or fuel electric vehicle is NO LONGER AVAILABLE as of July 1, 2020 (Fiscal Year 2021).
We are currently holding all applications that have been submitted, and continuing to accept applications for vehicles that qualify for Fiscal Year 2020 funding under HB 1246/Ch. 13 of 2019. No funding has been authorized for Fiscal Year 2022. If additional funding becomes available, applicants will be awarded the credit in the order of application receipt.
Program details: You may be eligible for a one-time excise tax credit, up to $3000.00, when you purchase a qualifying plug-in electric vehicle. Effective July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2020, an individual may be entitled to receive an excise tax credit on a qualifying plug-in electric vehicle regardless of whether they own or lease the vehicle. Business entities may also qualify for the tax credit on up to ten vehicles.
- The criteria for a qualifying plug-in electric vehicle are as follows:
- The vehicle must be primarily for use on public streets, roads and highways.
- The vehicle cannot be modified from manufacturer's specifications.
- Must be a new vehicle titled for the first time between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2020.
- The vehicle must be acquired for use by the taxpayer, and not for resale.
- The vehicle must be capable of recharge from external source of electricity.
- Has a battery capacity of at least 5.0 kilowatt-hours.
- Has a total purchase price not exceeding $60,000.
• Restrictions apply, visit program website for details.